We can’t describe quite how excited a little sun and milder temperatures makes us, especially in what should be the depths of winter. It’s enough to tempt us to fire up for a winter BBQ!
This veggie option is scrumptious, takes almost no preparation and is ready in less than 15 minutes (so you can hurry indoors to keep warm). The earthiness of the portobello mushroom is absolutely perfect for its wintery context.
It hits the spot. It really does.
Top tip: If it starts raining or the temperature suddenly plummets (face it, quite likely), take this indoors and use your oven for all the grilling.
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 bag of rocket
- 4 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Mix the mustard and balsamic vinegar together. Brush the mushrooms with this sauce.
- When the barbecue is ready, add the mushrooms to the grill and cook for a couple of minutes on either side.
- Grill both the tomato slices and ciabatta rolls for a minute or so.
- To prepare your burgers, dollop any leftover mustard/balsamic vinegar mix onto the buns. Top with the grilled tomato and mushrooms. Add a slice of red onion and handful of rocket.