It’s British Pie Week next week so here’s our famous fish pie recipe. It’s quick to make (no poaching or white sauce to make) and just watch how we’ve sneaked the veg in.
Great served with steamed veg, a big green salad and warm crusty bread.
Serves 4 – 6
Fresh veg (all in your delivery):
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 courgette
- 1 lemon
- 1 red chilli (or less if you like a milder taste)
- handful of parsley
- 2 ripe tomatoes, quartered
From your storecupboard:
- 150g cheddar cheese
- 600g salmon/smoked haddock fillets, skin off and bones removed (vary the proportions to your taste)
- 125g king prawns, raw and peeled
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Cut the potatoes into 2 cm chunks and boil until soft, around 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and grate the carrot into a deep baking tray. Grate the courgette and cheese into the tray too. Finely chop both the chilli and parsley and add to this mix.
- Cut the salmon / haddock into bite-sized pieces and add to the tray. Add the prawns too.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the chunks of tomatoes to the mix and then mix everything really well.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and return to the pan. Add some salt and pepper and some olive oil. Mash until nice and smooth and then spread evenly over the top of the grated veg and fish.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until cooked through.