Treat your mum this Mother’s Day with some lovingly made and beautifully wrapped chocolate truffles.
- 140g good quality dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 142ml double cream
- 25g unsalted butter
- Coatings (see point 3 below for suggestions)
- Chop the chocolate and place into a large bowl. Heat the cream and butter together gently in a saucepan until the butter melts and cream reaches simmering point. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Stir the mixture until nice and smooth. (If you’re adding any liquors, add them drop by drop at this stage.) Cool and chill for at least 4 hours.
- To shape the truffles, you have 2 options. Use a melon baller dipped in hot water and scoop up balls of the mixture. Or lightly coat your palms with some flavourless oil and roll the truffles into balls. Place on greaseproof paper.
- This is the fun bit. Coat the truffles immediately after shaping. Place toppings into a bowl and lightly roll the truffles until evenly covered. Then place on greaseproof paper to chill. Topping ideas include: chocolate hundreds and thousands, lightly toasted dessicated coconut, crushed shelled pistachio nuts.
- The truffles can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days, or frozen for a month (defrosted in the fridge overnight).